April 16, 2011

Rockin' Chairs, Rockin' Babies...

I rock my baby to sleep at night. I know that I shouldn't. I've read the books and I realize that it's a big "no-no". I didn't start doing it intentionally. Trust me - I wish that she would go to sleep on her own. I try each night to lay her in her crib awake, but 9 times out of 10 she screams her little heart out. I've tried different methods, but what usually happens is that I can't stand the crying and I scoop her out of the crib and head to the rocking chair. Good ol' rocking chair. What would I do without it?

The truth is that I love our snuggle time in the rocking chair. I love how she knows that after bathtime, it's time for us to read a story in the chair, have one last feed and then cuddle before bed.

All cuddly in her sleep sack, having one last story before bed.

I love sitting there breathing in the sweet smell of baby lotion.
I love the way that she fits so perfectly in the crook of my arm. 
I love that when she's extra tired, she will bury her face in my neck.
I love how she snuggles her little body in as close as she can.
I love the way that she holds on tight to my shirt,
as if to say "Mommy, don't ever put me down".
I love singing her favourite song in her ear and watching
her eyes get heavy as she gives in to the sleep.
I love that her breath fogs up my glasses when I lean in close.
I love how peaceful she looks as she lay sleeping in my arms.
I love that moment when she falls into a deep sleep
and her soother hangs out of her mouth.

Rocking time is special time! xoxo

I know there will come a day when she will refuse to let me rock her and I will miss moments like this. Before long, I'll have to start sleep training and the days of rocking my baby to sleep will be long gone. But, for now, I will continue to enjoy the little things that I love so much about rocking my baby girl. After all, there are worse things I could do as a Mommy, right?! :)

1 comment:

  1. I rocked and nursed my babies to sleep until well past the acceptable age and I wouldn't change it for the world! I only have one left who will still rock with me and he's 5 so my days are numbered.

    ReplyDelete