April 05, 2011

Healthy Drive-Thru?

Yesterday, I had a dilemma. I left my Mommy fitness class and was heading to my grandmother's for a visit with some family. I was already running late and I still needed to eat lunch. Now, I know that I should have packed a lunch and brought it with me, but I didn't. I had too many other things to remember and Grace's things always take priority over mine. I'm sure other Moms can relate to me when I say that the less things you have to haul out the door, the better. Those car seats are bloody heavy when you add a 15lb baby to them!

So, this brought me to my dilemma. I had just worked out and was still dripping sweat. If I skipped lunch, I knew that I would be starving by supper. Plus, skipping meals is never good, especially when you're working out. My plan was to stop at Subway, since it's a healthier choice. However, Grace had fallen asleep in the backseat and the thought of hauling her into Subway and risk waking her up made me cringe. It was not worth it. I racked my brain trying to figure out which drive thru I could go to that would not make my workout a complete waste. I thought of going to Tim Hortons, but knew that if I got a sandwich, I would most definitely get a donut to go with it. Ugh! Temptation everywhere!

Since I was in Stratford, the drive thrus on the way to my Nanny's were: McDonald's, KFC and Wendy's. I opted for Wendy's. The minute I put my window down, the smell of french fries wafted in and almost made me change my order. However, I was determined not to ruin the hard work I had just done at my workout, because I knew I would regret it. I went with a grilled chicken and Diet Coke. It was boring and it didn't completely fill me, but it did the trick. I would have gotten a baked potato with it, but knew it would be dangerous. Have you ever tried to drive and eat a baked potato? I have. Believe me - it's dangerous.

This little dilemma really got me thinking. Why are there not more drive thrus with healthy choices? I know it's something I will never do, but I would love to open such a place! It would be drive thru only, so that it would be fast (have you ever sat at the Subway drive thru on University Ave with a crying baby? Soooo slow)! At my store, every employee would be working on drive thru orders. I would sell homemade subs, sandwiches and smoothies! Yum! :) All these things are easy to eat while driving and are healthier choices! Who's with me? Wanna open a business? LOL.

1 comment:

  1. Haha - good for you, Cheryl. Grilled chicken and diet coke are certainly the lesser of all the drive thru evils out there. I wish restaurants would give healthier options at the drive thru - things to eat while driving! I suppose eating and driving isn't the safest thing to do sometimes, but for moms it is inevitable! I swore I would NOT eat in my new car - and very quickly broke that rule. :) I will open a spot with you - just as long as I don't have to make the food. Too many Tim's memories! ha

    ReplyDelete