April 09, 2011

Great Children's Book!

I LOVE this book.


When I was pregnant, my parents bought this book for Grace. I read it a number of times before Grace was born and never once got through it without tears in my eyes. I'm a Daddy's girl and this book really hits a soft spot with me! I highly recommend that everyone buy it! I'll put the words here - bet you'll love it too! I read it to Grace all the time and it's always the first book my Mom reaches for when doing storytime with Grace. :)

I'm going to be your grandpa!
I have the biggest smile.
I've been waiting to meet you
for such a long, long while.

I have so much to tell you
before you slide into home plate.
I already know I love you
as I sit right here and wait.

I'm waiting to show you everything,
hear your giggles and your sighs,
see butterflies and monkeys
and clowns who cross their eyes.

I want to feel your heart beat
as you lie upon my chest,
bait your hook, fly your kite,
help you study for a test.

I'm waiting to play peekaboo...
and sing you to a nap.
I'm waiting to play horsey
and bounce you on my lap.

I'm waiting to show you the stars,
storm clouds, and the moon.
I want to make a silly faces
and laugh just like a goon.

I want to show you the wind
and how it bends the grass.
I'm waiting to give you bear hugs ---
the kind that last and last.

I'm waiting to show you oceans
and explain why the sky is blue.
I want to show you that lying
is never as good as true.

I can't wait to share spaghetti, wontons,
and ice-cream pie.
I can't wait to see your Brownie dress
and teach you how to tie.

I took your mom to her first movie.
I want to take you, too.
That will be a special day
devoted just to you.
When I took your mommy,
I never watched the screen.
The movie was in her smile---
to her it was a dream.

We'll go to see the Yankees,
though your daddy loves the Sox.
I'm saving you signed baseballs---
I keep them in a box.

I want to teach you about our family
with pictures from long ago.
You're the new twig on our tree,
and I can't wait to watch you grow.

Your mom is my daughter,
and your dad is his mom's son.
You lived within your mommy,
but now the time has come.
Get ready, little sweet one---
your life will be just great.

I'm going to be your gradnpa, and...
I can hardly wait.

See...I told you it was great. :)

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't even read the whole thing because I was getting teary. I'm the same way with 'Love You Forever'.

    ReplyDelete