March 28, 2011

My "Home Sweet Home"

When I graduated with my Bachelor of Education in 2008, I made a really tough decision and moved out west (to Fort McMurray) to work. My husband came along with me, as well as a couple of friends. We knew all along that it was a short term move for us. We had recently gotten married and said that as soon as we were ready to start our family, we would be on our way back to PEI. In my mind, there was no other place to raise our children. PEI was (and always will be) my "home sweet home"!

I got pregnant in January 2010 and we knew that we would move home that summer, once I finished my year of teaching. So, in June 2010, we made our way back to PEI. I was 29 weeks pregnant at the time. The thing that surprised me was how it was so hard to leave. I had always assumed that coming home would be the easiest thing ever, but it wasn't. I cried a million tears in those last couple of days (wasn't the pregnancy hormones at all, ha ha) while saying goodbye to my friends and colleagues. You see, Fort McMurray is a place where everyone forms relationships really quickly, because often times, all you've got is each other. Most of us came from different places and this was our "temporary home". I made some incredible friends there (you know who you are - I miss you all)!

One of my closest friends from Fort Mac! I miss you, Sarah!
We were pregnant together,
but haven't gotten to meet each other's babies yet!

Leaving Fort McMurray meant that I was leaving behind my dream job (teaching grade 1 in the most amazing school ever) and was returning to the unpredictable world of substitute teaching on PEI. I had to leave behind close friends and phenomenal colleagues. Then there was that little thing called money...my salary on PEI with a full time job would be half of what I was getting out west. I don't for one second regret my time in Fort McMurray - it was part of my journey and helped me grow as a person and a teacher.

My favourite day of the school year - the first day of school!

Despite all of these things, there was no doubt in my mind that I needed to come home. It was where I belonged and where I wanted Grace to grow up. I still have those days where I miss my Fort Mac friends, or wish that I had more money, but I don't regret my decision to move back home. I cannot imagine raising Grace without our family and friends.
I am so blessed to have all of my family here on PEI with me. I have tons of babysitters! :) I call my Mom on a daily basis (although I did when I was out west too) and I see my siblings all the time. I have lots of other friends on maternity leave with me and it is the best thing ever!!! We are together constantly and they are always there for advice. I don't know what I would do without all of my Mommy friends. Sherri, Jill and Tanya - I'm so glad we got to experience this together! Seriously - I recommend that everyone try to get pregnant at the same time as their best friend!

Harrison and Grace
My best friend, Sherri's little boy and my little girl
Soon I will start the process of finding a job on PEI (something that is easier said than done). I know there will be days where I will get frustrated and wish that I was still in Fort McMurray. On days like that, I will just have to look at Grace to remember why I'm here. I want her to have the kind of life I had growing up and I believe that the only place that can happen is here on PEI. You truly can't appreciate the beauty of this island until you've left. I can't wait for Grace's first beach visit this summer - I know I'll be all smiles when her little toes dig into the sand and splash in the water. I hope PEI will become her "home sweet home".


Beautiful PEI Beaches!
Today's "Moment full of Grace" happened this morning when we were getting ready for our workout. I took Grace in the bathroom with me while I brushed my teeth. I plunked her Bumbo up on the bathroom counter, something I've done lots of times (don't worry - I was right beside her and she wasn't going to fall out). She was sitting there watching me and then decided to look in the mirror (something else she's done lots of time). However, today she apparently found herself to be very funny! A big smile crept across her face and then she started laughing hysterically! I'm talking those big laughs that come from deep down in their little bellies! I started laughing myself over the cuteness of it and she thought it was even funnier that I was laughing. We both continued to laugh for several minutes before I scooped her up and smothered her in kisses. We had a rough morning and she had been very cranky. I think this laughter was just what we both needed! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment